Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, April 23, 2007

Helping Hands

We were visiting my family yesterday. I forget how nice it is to be around a few other adults who don’t mind chasing a toddler around for a little while. For now it works out nicely that Zachariah is the only grandchild. That means he has the undivided attention of grandparents, aunts, and uncles.

So, when I arrived at the grandparents’ house, I was able to let go of the kid and take my things in on my own. This never happens. I didn’t have to lug a kid plus all our stuff. It’s a wonderful feeling.

We’re going on vacation in less than 3 weeks with my family. Everyone is excited about going. We all get along great and we have fun together. It is also exciting, because it will be Zachariah’s first trip to the ocean. It will be fun to see him stick his little baby toes in the water and on the sand. It’s reassuring to me to have all this help there for us. It won’t be just Matt and I chasing the kid around the whole time. I know that the rest of the family wants to spend time with him too. I’m not sure I’ll know what to do with myself. I’m used to taking care of him almost every waking moment. Matt keeps talking about the fun things we can do. The usual things we do while we’re at the beach – sunbathing, boogie boarding, walking on the beach, and other things. I keep telling him that this just isn’t going to work. We have Zachariah to worry about now.

I just don’t think I’ll have as much time to do these fun things that I used to enjoy at the beach. This has been discouraging to Matt, because he wants me to have fun too. I keep telling him that I’ll need his help a little more than normal. And the more I think about it, the more I realize I will be able to let everyone else help me out too. It is fun and relaxing for my family to spend time with Zachariah. After seeing them play with him this weekend, I think I’ll be able to let go better.

2 comments:

2Forgetful said...

Your vacation sounds like so much fun. I love the beach and can't wait for the summer. I'm sure you'll be able to do alot of the things you mentioned because the adult to baby ratio is going to be better.

jen said...

it's good that you will be able to let go like that. I don't really feel comfortable doing that so I always wind up being the one person to watch the kids. Funny thing is now that I have kids I have an "excuse" to do all the fun and silly things I really want to do on the beach, besides sit there and pretend to read a book! And I can go in the water, without being the only one.