Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, July 19, 2007

A night out?

Tonight was supposed to be a fun night out. But it's looking like maybe that won't be the case now. Only time will tell.

The plan was for Matt, Zachariah, and I to go to a church event at a local park. We went last year to this performance in the park, and it was so much fun. A group from a college comes and does a drama with singing and dancing. We loved it. Of course that's when Zachariah was only 4 months old. He was content to sit in his infant seat for a while, then he sat in our laps. He just enjoyed being outdoors.

We had it all thought out. We knew being outside we were more likely to keep Zachariah's attention. Plus there will be other people around for him to watch. Sounded like fun. We were going to head out there a little early and let him play on the playground. That might help get rid of some excess energy, especially since we'll be keeping him up past his bedtime.

The plans were good. Then....then it rained...off and on all day long. So, we've heard from the church recently that tonight's performance has been moved indoors to the church instead of the park. Oh no. That does not sound as easy to do. Zachariah cannot sit still very long in church.

Last Sunday I tried to leave him in the nursery. He usually will cry for a few minutes when I leave, but then he's OK and goes to play with all the fun toys. So, as hard as it is, I make myself leave him even if he's crying a bit. Otherwise I would never enjoy the service. I thank God that we have such a nice, caring nursery staff. They are wonderful people. But no, last week he cried and cried and cried. They had to page me from the service to come get him. They felt bad calling, but I'm glad they did. He was so mad and inconsolable by the time I got there. It even took me a few minutes to get him calmed down. And I spent the rest of the service in the nursery with him.

So, you see where this is going, right? I think Matt will get to sit and enjoy the performance while I'm out in the lobby with a squirmy toddler. To be fair Matt did mention that this would be harder to take Zachariah to. But I want to go so badly that I'd like to give it a try. Maybe he'll surprise us. HA! As long as Matt's open to the idea of leaving early if that's what's necessary, then I'd like to go. Otherwise, I'll be the one missing out again. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ohhhhh Good Luck! I've got my fingers crossed for you. Tonight is my 11th anniversary and I find myself thawing meat. My oldest gave us the gift of babysitting our youngest so we could go out...but Daddy's tired, so we'll take her up on it this weekend. I hope it works out for you. Maybe he'll stun you...maybe?

2Forgetful said...

Oh boy, how did it go? I was thinking about joining a gym but I'm nervous that I would end up never going because the girls would get upset in their child care service. I'm also trying to find a non-family member baby-sitter so that they can get used to "strangers" babysitting.

I hope it went okay!