Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Primaries

How much do I like to vote? Let me count the ways.

1. We have a school levy on the ballot that I must help pass.

2. Presidential election and a hot one at that.

3. Nothing else imperative, but I still vote on every little thing that only has one person running.

4. Ice! Ice! Ice! It's horrible outside, and I still drag the kid out to vote.

5. My tutoring center cancelled for this afternoon, and I still got out to vote when I didn't need to leave the house.

6. It took me 20 minutes to sort of scrap the ice off my car, and I still couldn't open the door by my son's car seat. BUT I WENT TO VOTE ANYWAY. It was just harder getting the kid in.

7. I had to carry my 2 year old son across the parking lot to vote.


This was the first election since I turned 18 that I even thought about not voting. I had planned yesterday and all day today to go. But the weather turned bad quickly. Then when I found out I didn't have to tutor, it made it even more desirable not to leave the house today. I came this close (just picture me showing you a teeny tiny space between my thumb and finger) to not going to vote. Then I instantly thought of the school issue that I wanted to vote YES on. Our school distract is having a hard time passing a levy, and I always vote yes on school issues. I would have kicked my own butt if it failed by 1 little vote. So, I pulled my act together and headed out in this horrible weather to drive 1/2 mile down the road and vote. Thank goodness it's not far, or I probably wouldn't have gone. I ran in, quickly voted, ran back out, and got us safe and sound here at home. Zachariah and I are here to stay for the rest of the night. Matt has a function at church, that unlike every other church/school/daycare/other functions, has not cancelled. And he is really looking forward to it. He's a safe driver, so I'm not worried too much about him. So let's hope it's a nice, quiet evening at home. And we'll also hope that this attitude I've gotten from Zachariah lately isn't just the start of his Terrible Twos already. And we'll hope he's an angel for me tonight.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Good for you! And good job taking your son. You really don't want to get me started on how important voting is. . . I'm glad you made it there and back safely.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting out in the icky weather to vote! As a former social studies teacher, I tend to "wag my finger" at people who don't vote.

I took Liam with me to vote today, too. You can never start the civics lessons too early, I say.

And I hope the terrible twos skip your house. I don't wish those on anyone.

Anonymous said...

THat is dedication. Good for you for voting...which reminds me that I MUST go get a driver's license here in IN and register to vote myself!

Happy birthday to your boy, by the way. Sorry I'm a day late wishing him well!

2Forgetful said...

Good for you! The weather was a big topic of conversation for today's primaries. And it's great for Zachariah to see you voting!