Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, October 29, 2007

Fudge

Erica asked for fudge recipes, so here you go. As an added bonus I make a pan of peanut butter fudge and took pictures. First the recipes. These are all from my mom. And I think the peanut butter one originated from my dad's mother. She makes the best PB fudge ever!



Fanny Farmer Fudge
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 large can evaporated milk



Bring to full boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 1/2 lb (2 sticks) margarine, 18 oz. white bark & 1 Tbs vanilla.



Beat until smooth. Add 1 cup walnuts or pecans. Makes 9x13 pan (or for thinner pieces, pour into 10x15" jelly roll pan).



Easy Fantasy Fudge
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) margarine
6 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups evaporated milk
2 pkg (12 oz each) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar (13 oz) (or 2 small jars) Marshmallow Creme
2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
2 tsp. vanilla



Lightly grease 2 13x9 pans or jelly roll pan. Mix margarine, sugar & milk in heavy 4-5 quart pan; bring to full rolling boil on medium heat stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 5 minutes on medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234 F. (It actually takes 6-7 minutes to reach 234, so I always use thermometer.) Remove from heat; gradually stir in chocolate chips until melted, add remaining ingredients; mix well & pour into prepared pans. Cool at room temperature; cut into squares - makes about 6 lbs. fudge.



For easier cutting & cleaning, line pans with lightly greased foil, flip out & remove foil before cutting.



Peanut Butter Fudge
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup milk



Mix these ingredients and cook over medium heat - stir occasionally until mixture forms soft ball (234 F).



Add: 1 Tbs butter, 1 cup peanut butter & 1 tsp vanilla



Beat to hasten thickening (ready to pour when edges of fudge start to harden on the pan). Pour into buttered 9x9 pan (or line pan w/foil & butter foil).


A picture tutorial to Peanut Butter Fudge (using above recipe):Mix sugar, milk, and corn syrup in pan. Have a candy thermometer ready. (I use a Pampered Chef silicone spatula that can withstand the high heat. Otherwise I would recommend a wooden spoon.)
I get out all the remaining ingredients ready to pour.
Now the mixture is hot enough to add remaining ingredients and beat until it begins to harden.
The fudge will start to harden on the side of the pan like this when it's ready to pour. (My grandmother's tip is to put the pan in a bit of cool water in the sink while you are beating it. This is what I did, and it makes it cool a lot faster.)
Here is the first pan I poured. Mmm.
Here is the second pan. It was getting a little too hard already at this point. But it still turned out tasty.
Here are all the yummy leftovers in the pan that MUST BE EATEN! Yum! Get a spoon and go to town.

Here is the fudge all cut up and ready to be frozen for the holidays. This does freeze very well.

And the rest that got a little more crumbly will have to be eaten now. Darn! (I did take some to share with the other adults where I tutor.)

Try some. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Black Sheeped said...

I feel as if I could go into sugar shock just looking at this. Mmm.

Sara said...

Holy Cow, that's a lot of fudge!!!

I made the cookies and they are a hit! I substituted pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon and they are so GOOD!!

Misty said...

LOVE peanut butter... yumm. your PB fudge sounds and looks amazing!

2Forgetful said...

Wishing someone had invented the kind of technology where I could just reach into my computer screen and eat that delicious fudge...

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Thanks for sharing. My family will love all this fudge I plan to bring to the holiday parties. My thighs, however, will regret it. :)

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Thanks for sharing. My family will love all this fudge I plan to bring to the holiday parties. My thighs, however, will regret it. :)