Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Here's a fun topic

Now here's an interesting thing. And no, I wasn't searching for it, I just saw an advertisement. I had to go see what they said about it. People are looking for surrogate mothers to "carry" their babies for them. How do you feel about this? Is it ethical? Could you do it? For someone you know/love? For a stranger? For the money? The website above that I looked at is trying to find strangers who are willing to do this for money. They implant the goods inside you, and you just bake the bun. I can't imagine the emotional baggage that this would carry. Knowing that you're carrying a baby that you will give up and never was yours. Wow! Something to think about. Could I do it? Maybe. I can think of one situation where I would in a heartbeat. If my sister (only the one particular one) asked me to do something like this for her, I would. Although I would do almost anything for this sister. And she probably would for me too. Actually, I know someone who was a stranger surrogate. She's the relative of friend I don't see often. My mother asked the woman's mom about them having another baby. The mother said..."Oh, it's not really hers. She's carrying it for someone else. We don't really talk about it much, because it's a different situation." We found out that basically she was doing it for the money. OK, I'm done ranting. I'm not even sure where I stand on this issue. It's just one that I find rather interesting.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it's an amazing gift to give someone, the gift of a family, but I don't think I have the emotional fortitude to do it. I think I would have really conflicting emotions that would just stress me out too much. I mean, it's nine months, pregnancy is. Nine months would be too long to feel weird. But I totally admire a woman who could do it. Even if it was just for the money, although that might make it a little less admirable and somewhat creepy!

mamashine said...

I would do it for my sister or for my best friend. Nobody else. And my sister has no need of it, having three kids already.

My best friend and I have actually talked about it because for awhile she was on some medication that was really dangerous for pregnancy and she wasn't sure if they could switch her to something else. I think she's found an alternative though now.