Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, March 12, 2007

A Brief Retreat

This weekend, Matt and I had the wonderful opportunity to go away overnight. This was my first time away from Zachariah that long. He stayed with my parents, but I can tell you more about that later. Matt had made all the reservations for our weekend trip. He didn't tell me where we were staying, just that it was nice and I'd like it. I knew what city we were staying near, but that was it. Now I could have easily snooped, but he knew that I would not. And it was a very nice surprise!

We stayed near Toledo in a suite. The place is called Belamere Suites. I had never heard of it. It's located almost in the middle of nowhere, but it's very close to a big shopping center and easy to get anywhere in Toledo from there. We spent all day Saturday walking around the shopping center (plus a few other stores we stopped at on the way there). Then we saw the movie "Wild Hogs" in the afternoon. That was pretty funny, and we enjoyed actually seeing a movie in the theater. We also had a great dinner at a place called Blue Pacific Grill. It's a Mongolian grill where you choose exactly what you want in your dish and they cook it right in front of you. It was wonderful food! Then we spent the rest of the evening relaxing in our suite. We enjoyed the jacuzzi and watched movies. We stayed up late and ordered a midnight snack basket that they brought to our suite for us. It was a lot of fun. And I can't tell you how great it was to eat out without having a squirmy baby there too.

Sunday morning we slept in late. That was divine for me. I have not slept in for over a year (when Zachariah was born). Then we spent 3 hours in the Toledo Museum of Art and enjoyed checking out many exhibits. My favorites were the 2 feature exhibits - Jacob Lawrence Prints, 1963-2000: A Comprehensive Survey & Symphonic Poem: The Art of Aminah Brenda Lynn Robinson. They were very interesting. Matt enjoyed the Symphonic Poem exhibit more than I would have imagined. He's not a very artsy person, and this was a completely different kind of art. But very neat. And he did like the historical things that she brought into her art.

We were quite tired after we realized that we'd been in the museum for 3 hours (and we only made it through about half of it). So we decided to head out. We ended up stopping for lunch at Red Robin that Matt spotted. That was very yummy! And we went to a shopping mall near there, but didn't buy much. Actually I think the only thing we got were some clothes for Zachariah. (I love buying baby clothes, and I found some really cute shirts and a romper for summer.) Anyway, we did head back after that. And it was a great trip!

No comments: