Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Are they 4real?

What's in a name? It's always interesting when you come across a new or unique baby name. Sometimes these inspire you, perhaps, but other times it just makes you wonder what the parents were thinking. Please read the article here. This is what sparked a debate.
Pat and Sheena Wheaton said they decided to name their new baby "4real" shortly
after having an ultrasound and being struck by the reality of his impending arrival.

These parents so far have been denied naming their baby something that starts with a number. I just wonder why would they want to do that to their child.

When thinking about baby names for our son we looked at baby name books, family names, biblical names, etc. We did not have the baby named before he was born. If was up to Matt, he would have chosen a name before, but I wanted to wait until I saw him. I am glad that I waited. I had my heart set on a name that we'd picked out earlier in the pregnancy for a boy, but I don't think that would have suited him. In fact I went into delivery thinking that would be his name, but after seeing him I knew it was not his name. So I went with my second choice, a name that Matt had helped convince me of. I think Matt was very pleased that I choice the name Zachariah, but he still says that I named our son.

I hold out hope that I might be able to use my other favorite boy name in the future. That's mostly why I won't tell you what it is. I did not like telling people the names we were considering. I didn't want people to place judgements and turn me off of a name I really liked. I also wanted to do what I did, see the baby and make sure the name suited him. I wanted the option to change my mind. Matt knew the few names that I liked, and he gave them his OK. I would not have chosen a name he didn't like. In fact, when Zachariah was born and the nurses wanted to know what we'd name him, I asked Matt to go ahead and name him. He would not and wanted me to. I thought Zachariah Matthew suited him, and Matt whole-heartedly agreed.

I will still stick with my method of naming babies. I don't think I'll get crazy and chose "4real" or anything like that. Or do what a character in a book I read did...she named her children after the first thing she saw when they were born. I remember that one son was Calendar. No Calendars or Stirrups or Monitors in my future.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's hilarious. I would have had to name Addy "Bald Spot on Doctor's Head" if I had followed that particular baby-name idea.