Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Funny stuff from the toddler

Zachariah cracks me up some days. Well, every day to be honest. And some days several times. I should keep better track of all the things he comes up with.

Yesterday he woke up telling me he wanted brothers or sisters RIGHT NOW. He told me that when I got him out of bed that morning. Then as soon as he came out into the living room, he said "Zacky wants brothers and sisters right here" and stuck his little finger on the floor in the middle of the room. Ha. Funny, because we haven't said a whole lot to him about us trying for another baby.

Then later in the day he told me "Brothers and sisters will play wiff Zacky". Aha, so that's why he wants brother and sisters. BUT, I have no idea where he got that idea. We only ever talk about having a BABY brother or sister. We've never talked to him about them being able to play with him. He has come up with that all on his own, and I don't know where he came to that conclusion. Maybe he saw something on TV or heard people talking about that. I don't know.

That evening he told Matt the same thing "Zacky wants brother and sisters now". Funny kid! Little does he know that we're working on it.

Which brings me to an interesting question. When did you tell your children that you were expecting again? Did you let them know right away? Did you wait until after you'd announced it to other people? Or did you not tell them until you started showing and everyone else had known for a while? I have a feeling we may have to wait and be careful what we say around Zachariah once we are expecting. If we don't want other people to know quite yet, he would surely tell everyone. Then they'd all know before we had a chance to tell them. Not sure we want that happening.

OK, and the other story I wanted to tell you was something funny he did tonight. He literally cracked me up. I laughed so hard I was almost crying. He was giggling and doing it over and over to see me laugh. First he wanted me to play my trumpet. Matt just recently showed him our trumpets, and it was the first we've had them out in years. Well, Zachariah was very interested in them. He loves "playing" piano already. So he told me to get out my trumpet and he'd play piano. So I did. I got out my trumpet and played a little for him. And I showed him how to make sounds in it. He tried and tried and did get a few squeaks out of it.

Then I put the trumpet away and I got out my Veggie Tales piano book. I played the theme song for him and sang too. He loved that. So then he'd turn the page and say "Next". I kept playing bits of things here and there and singing. He was thoroughly enjoying himself. Then I got to the "Water Buffalo Song". I asked if he remembered this song (he's been listening to the CD), and he said "uh huh". So I started playing it. Then he says "water buffaloooooooooo" and does that part perfectly. He kept doing it. I didn't know he knew that much of it even! It was so cute and hilarious. For those of you who don't know the song, you have to go listen to it. You'll know what part I mean. I will have to get it on video. Hi-lar-ious! I'm telling you.


***Don't forget to sign up for a free DVD giveaway. This is NOT a pay it forward contests, so there are no strings attached. Not too many signed up yet, so get your name in there.

7 comments:

Nowheymama said...

My OB does a first trimester ultrasound, so we tell the kids after we have photographic evidence.

Pam said...

I told Jack when i started showing. He points to my belly and says "baby!" but he also does the same to his. That's toddlers for you.

2Forgetful said...

Obviously, we haven't had to do this but I read a great article about how kids (especially toddlers) can often tell that's somethings going on very early since you might be tired more easily, sick, or walking/carrying yourself differently. And my pediatrician friend told me this funny story about one of her patients announcing that her mom was going to have a baby when her mom was not showing and had not actually told her daughter.

On the other hand, toddler will announce anything you tell them to the world so that's something to consider.

d e v a n said...

We told the kids after we were OK with others knowing. Pretty much right away actually. lol

Anonymous said...

What a cute little guy you have! He's definitely developing his own little personality, isn't he?

We waited to tell Syd about my pregnancy with Liam until we got the 11 week "all-clear" ultrasound from my OB (there was bleeding and we feared a miscarriage so we didn't want to get her hopes up). We were going to do the same when we were expecting Evan, but my dad told her right away. Silly grandparents!

Heidi said...

Ha! Those are cute things. I just love that stage. Right now I am at the "pre talking, but very demanding stage."

I remember just letting it kinda happen with telling my daughter what was going on when we had another child. It was around the time I started showing, I am thinking around 15 weeks or so.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

I agree, I love this stage! The crazy things that come out of their mouths! The things they pick up and remember! The SINGING! oh my.

As for telling the toddler about a pregnancy, I told Zoe after the 8 week ultrasound when we saw the heartbeat (actually she came to the appointment and saw the, uh, lima bean on the screen for herself!). I figured it would be hard to keep from her. In retrospect, I kinda wish I hadn't told her yet. She's been a TOTAL pill these past two weeks and I just don't need another possible explanation ("pissy about new baby" is added to the list that includes "2 year molars SUCK" and "Mommy's acting lazy and lame")