Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, August 3, 2007

Value

First I have to let you know I was away for a few days, so I missed out on posting. I'm also catching up on my blog reading and commenting. I have stories to tell and several post ideas (if I can remember them all), so I will be writing more later. For now I'm tired and just feel like reading for a while before heading to bed.

Tonight Matt and I were discussing briefly future children. He mentioned how much he'd like for me to be able to quit tutoring before the next baby would arrive. I have thought that I would keep up my tutoring job for a while. I think I could still handle it with 2 kids, especially with one being a baby.

Then he said IT. I almost couldn't believe it. He said he'd really like for me to not work at all (which we've discussed before). But he said "I really value what you do at home". He went on to say that can't imagine what our evenings/weekends would be like if we both worked full time. He knows that he wouldn't have as much free time, because it would be tied up with both of us keeping up with the house and other things.

I can't imagine what it would be like either. I feel so blessed that I've been able to stay home with my son. Our plan is for me to stay at home until all of our kids are in school. Then I don't know what. Matt says then he just wants me to do what makes me happy. If it means going back to teaching, then so be it. Or if I decide to continue staying at home, that's OK too. (Which I suppose will have to happen if we decide to home school.)

It just meant so much to me to hear him say how much he notices and appreciates what I do here at home and with our son. It is always good to feel like what you do is valuable. Thank you, Matt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this. Just this evening, I told Gerald that I thought I might have to quit reading other sahm blogs because of the pervasive negativity. It seems that so many women feel undervalued and invalidated by their husbands for the work that they do in the home. I fervently pray that Gerald and I don't run into that same trap. I hope we can both respect what the other contributes to the family.

It must make you feel very good to know that Matt values what you do. I know Zachariah does, too, and will surely tell you how much when he is older.

Sarah said...

A little recognition is always a shot in the arm. Good for you- and him.

Kelsey said...

That really is nice. I think the most difficult thing about being a stay at home mom is that you don't get a lot of feedback. No grades. No raises based on your excellent performance. No bonuses for productive quarters! But all it takes is someone to notice once in a while and the daily grind seems a lot more fulfilling. Way to go Matt!