Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Memories

Yesterday I was reflecting on past Memorial days with my mother. When I was in high school, I was in band. We had to perform at area memorial day services. The little school where I graduated from is in between several smaller towns - 5 to be exact. For example, the one I lived in had a population of about 100 people. Yep, just 100. That's all. If you were driving through and blinked....you guessed it...you would miss it. I'm being quite literal here. Anyway, what this usually meant is that each town had it's own festivities for different holidays. On Memorial Day there were 4 different services at 4 different cemeteries. And the band had to go play at them all. Plus, I was a trumpet player, so I played Taps a lot. By the end of these long days, we were all tired. But I have precious memories of these small ceremonies. It was always very moving for me to see all the old graves marked with the US flags. And to see the families who came to remember those who gave their lives for our country was amazing.

I know most people just see this holiday is a long weekend to relax, do yard work, and barbecue. I do too, but I like to take a moment or two to thank those who are (and have) serving us.

Thanks!

No comments: