Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, May 2, 2010

More Recalling

What a mess we have. In the last few days over 40 children's and infants over-the-counter medications have been recalled. I've been hearing about it on the news. I'm hearing about it on Twitter. And anywhere there are mothers with young children, we're hearing about it.

I'm with everyone else. I can't believe that this is happening. Why can't we have better controls in effect to save us from possibly giving our children things that are bad for them.

We do all we can to protect them from so many things. We strap them into their car seats and booster seats until they are 8 years old. We're told to cut our children's food into teeny bite-sized pieces until they're 4. We hold our infants off from trying certain foods to decrease the risk of food allergies.

There are so many things that we do without hesitation to protect our children. We have a whole list of restrictions that we start following from the moment we suspect we're pregnant or see that double line on the pee stick.

But when a product like over-the-counter Tylenol can't even be trusted, what can a parent do?

While we're lucky enough to not have been affected by the medication recall (seriously, I realize how totally lucky I am that I hardly have child medication in my house ever...maybe more about that on another post), we have been affected by another recent recall.

Before Zachariah was even born, I lovingly picked out items for his nursery to make it a place we would both love and enjoy. My parents offered to buy us a crib. I chose something on the cheaper side, because I didn't really have a preference and didn't want them to spend too much. I'm not sure whether that's where the mistake lies or not, but this crib that I hoped to last a while longer to be used with more future children, has been recalled twice now.

The first time there was a replacement part issued. I ordered it even though we were in the process of switching Zachariah to a toddler bed and tearing the crib apart anyway. I saved the replacement part and intend on fixing it when the crib is needed again.

Now, though, this same crib (yes almost 5 years later) has been completely recalled. They are telling people to please get rid of this crib. Please don't pass it along or donate it or use it. Please just get rid of it. Make sure that you check out the article if you own a Simplicity or some Graco cribs.

Now what? Now what do I do? I have a useless crib. I bought it 4 1/2 years ago. I really don't think that the store we bought it from will issue a refund, and that's assuming that I still have the receipt (which I think I might still have). Great!

I don't know about you, but I'm slowly (or maybe quickly) losing my faith in the agencies that are supposed to be protecting consumers. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they are notifying us now that they are aware of these problems. But why has it taken them so long to find most of them? I don't get it.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Ugh. I totally agree with you. I have 3 recalled medications and almost gave one to my boys on Friday night. It just makes me mad!!!

My high chair was just recalled a month ago and I had to receive replacement parts to fix it. I still don't feel safe using it every day, so we keep it in the basement as a finger-painting chair.


Sorry about the crib. :(

d e v a n said...

I agree! It's so frustrating. There are recalls ALL the time and I can hardly trust that anything is safe anymore. sheesh.

Deleted said...

I to have been involved in a recall that makes me mad to the core. I had a play-yard (one with the change table and bassinet) the side kept dropping on it.. REAL SCARY. I looked it up online and a lot of parents were complaining of the same problem. I called the company and they had the BALLS to make me out to not know how to put the damn thing up right, making it seem like It was my fault. So I freaked at them telling them people online had made pages and pages with the same problem and called in with the same attitude about not putting the play-yard up correct. Enraged on the phone they offered to send a new one to me free of charge, I was settled with it thinking the new one may be newer model with no problems. .. when I got it I had the same problems and gave up on it sticking it in the back of my storage closet. About a year later AFTER some serious injuries from other babies they recalled it. To this day I will never buy from the company and they are a very common company. At least through the recall they sent out a box to get the other ones and a cheque for a refund.