Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, October 23, 2008

My sweet love is an ocean away

I was able to talk to Matt again today. Really things are going fine here without him, but I miss him so much. Yes, we've been apart this long (to date) before, but just knowing how far away he is seems different somehow. He's not just a phone call away. He has limited Internet access and the time difference doesn't help either.

This is only the second time that we've been able to chat. But I will say thank goodness for the Internet and Skype. It's almost unimaginable to me that he's in the 5th poorest country in the world, yet he's able to connect to the Internet with WiFi there where he's staying. Amazing!

So, Matt is doing well. It was good for my heart to be able to see, hear, and talk to him for a while this morning. I really miss him. I think I just fell even harder in love with him today. Now I know why they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder". I truly believe it.

Only 8 more days until he's home. I'm very happy for what he's doing, and I know he's loving every minute of it. And I know that he's thinking of us.

He already bought a little trinket for Zachariah. He showed it to him this morning. Zachariah is thrilled. The only thing he wanted was "something for Zacky" when Daddy comes home. It's a carved lion thing. I'll post pictures when he gets home. He also ordered some drums that they are making for us. (How cool is that?) And he either has or is going to get some paintings. I can't wait to see everything.

The pictures he's taken and uploaded so far have been really neat to see. It's just fun knowing that I can get a small taste of what he's doing and seeing there. I will keep dreaming about going there some day. Since I was a little girl, I've always wanted to take a missions trip to Africa. And I've been happy to live out that dream through Matt for now.

If you are a long time reader and/or correspond with me semi-regularly, send me an e-mail if you're interested in seeing Matt's blog. I don't want to put it out there for everyone, because I'd like to protect my identity. He has everything posted under his name. But I have "known" some of you for a long time, and I'd be happy to share if you'd like to hear more or see more photos.

5 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Oh, I can tell you miss him so much. But you have a great attitude about being apart. I'm so glad his trip is going well!

Deleted said...

It's amazing the strength you both have in your relationship together to be apart that long! Having internet and Skype makes it a little easier too :)
Hope all goes well for him!

Anonymous said...

Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder, that's for sure. But the next time your church puts together a mission trip, it's your turn to go!

Pam said...

Keep your chin up - not long now. AND you have your boy to keep you occupied & happy.

Sarah said...

Wow, I can't imagine single parenting it for that long all of the sudden. I'm usually getting antsy by about 5pm!
I've always wanted to do a mission trip or a Peace Corp stint or something, too. I still haven't given up hope YET.